Experienced Legal Service
for Dedham and the Greater Boston Area

Family Law, Real Estate and Probate Attorney

My spouse won’t sign papers for a divorce, can I get divorced without cooperation?

by | Jan 2, 2013 | Divorce |

I am frequently asked questions about the ability to get a divorce if the spouse won’t sign papers. You can file for a divorce without spousal cooperation. You file a contested divorce and serve your spouse with the summons and complaint. When the case is scheduled for trial, your spouse must appear if they wish to contest the divorce. If the spouse fails to appear in court to testify in the divorce, the only testimony will be yours and the judge will grant a divorce. You may need to file a motion to serve your spouse by a different method than usual if you don’t know the address or if your spouse lives in a different state or country.

If your spouse won’t cooperate and sign papers for a divorce, you can consult an experienced divorce attorney to help you get divorced.

FindLaw Profile Alan J Pransky
Five Star Reviews Site
Avvo Top Contributor in Family Law
Avvo Top Contributor in Real Estate 2013
Avvo Rating Superb - Top Attorney Divorce
Divorce Encyclopedia
Divorce Source
Avvo Rating 9.2 Alan J. Pransky, Top Attorney
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.