Photo of Alan J. Pransky

Experienced Legal Service
for Dedham and the Greater Boston Area

Family Law, Real Estate and Probate Attorney
Photo of Alan J. Pransky

Does One Parent Want To Move Out Of State With The Children?

As major life events occur, many parents make the decision to relocate to a different job, a cheaper area of the country or as the result of a remarriage. When one parent wants to move out of state with his or her children, many legal issues can arise, especially if the noncustodial parent wants to challenge the move.

At the Dedham law firm of Alan J. Pransky, Attorney at Law, we have handled many cases involving out-of-state relocation and child custody issues. The modification of custody orders arising out of a divorce, including visitation rights, is often complex and our firm will work hard to protect your rights and the best interests of the children. Our firm is prepared to vigorously advocate for your position in family court.

Whether you are planning to move out of state, or you want to object to the relocation, talk with a lawyer about your objectives and your concerns regarding relocation. Contact us today to learn more information.

For Parents Wanting To Relocate

Much of the relocation depends on your reasons for wanting to move, the place where you want to relocate and the consent of the other party. If you wish to move somewhere within a reasonable distance — such as Rhode Island — then the relocation will likely not be a problem. If, however, you wish to move to a state that is farther away from Massachusetts, you must satisfy the court that the move would be in the best interests of the child.

Our firm can work with you to understand what constitutes grounds for relocation and how to present those grounds in family court.

For Parents Objecting To Relocation

If your ex-spouse has filed a petition to relocate out of state, you must voice your objection with the court as soon as possible.

Objecting to the move may not always prevent the relocation from taking place, but it will put you in a position to negotiate for a parenting plan that better accounts for your needs and the needs of your children. Conditions may include the other spouse being required to pay travel expenses for you to see your child or that the child will spend time with you on holidays and during summers.

You Need An Attorney

For any case involving out-of-state custody and relocation, you need an attorney on your side who can explain the law to you and can help you exercise your rights. Contact us at the law firm of Alan J. Pransky, Attorney at Law, and schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. Call our Dedham law office at 781-613-8809.